Bramham Village Hall
Bramham is very fortunate to have such a spectacular Village Hall, which is situated in a conservation area right in the heart of the village, next to All Saints Church. It is within easy access and walking distance from all parts of the village.
Bramham Village Hall is considered by many as a focal point of the village with a license for bar and music. It regularly holds a variety of events such as music nights, dances, meetings and a range of fitness classes. It is also available for hire for private parties.
Aims & Benefits of the Hall
Our aims are to ensure the Village Hall remains available to the residents of Bramham and local groups at affordable rates. It is a well equipped hall to be very proud of. As the building is over 100 years old, there is a need for continuous restoration of the hall.
There are a wide range of clubs and organisations which use the Hall on a regular basis.Many are local, which means that it is convenient for residents of the village to attend a group, club or fitness class or evening event that is within walking distance of their home.
This all brings income to the hall to help cover the running costs. In addition to the regulars who use the hall, special events are organised to help raise further funds. Some event have proven to be immensely popular therefore repeated annually such as the Beer festival and New Years Eve Party.
We operate the ‘100 club’ to help raise further funds. This costs £10 per number, per year, and is drawn quarterly. 50% of the subscriptions are given out in prize money, the remainder is used to help restore the hall. If you would like to joint the 100 club, please complete application form: (link)
Other benefits the hall has to offer are:
- Disabled access
- Licensed bar. Extensions can be applied for
- Music license to 11pm
- Fully functional Kitchen equipped with an impressive range of crockery to suit most functions
- Newly fitted modern toilets including disabled toilet
- A cozy supper room for smaller events and meetings
- A large Main Hall with a stage
- Impressive wooden Parquet flooring suitable for fitness activities and dancing
- Car park
Whats On at The Village Hall - Timetable
In 1907 a plot consisting of “two messuages with barn, stables, outbuildings and gardens” close to the church in the centre of the village, came onto the market. A parish room had long been considered, it was proposed by Rt. Hon JL Wharton MP of Bramham Old Hall that this site be purchased by the village, and a gala in the grounds of Bramham Lodge raised £180 which formed a nucleus for the project. A purchase price was agreed and a deposit paid to secure withdrawal of the site from auction and fundraising began to find the balance by holding fetes, bazaars, jumble sales etc and eventually the purchase price of £305 was paid in full on 7th April 1908.
A committee was formed, an architect appointed and plans drawn to transform the site into a “commodious Parish room and Institute” at a further cost of £800. The committee canvassed the village for subscriptions and building work began late in 1909. Throughout 1910 there was the odd occasional letting of a small room amongst the chaos of building works and garden parties, jumble sales & further subscriptions added to funds until the first true letting of the new Parish Room on 11 January 1911, an advanced booking for New Years Eve “Cricket Club Ball”. The Parish Room took off as the focus of Village life, as it still remains today.
The hall has had its ups and downs since then, and suffered a devastating fire which required major rebuilding in the 1940s, with addition of kitchen and toilets. The supper room was added in the 1960’s. Recent refurbishment and reorganisation to provide improved facilities in the kitchen and cloakrooms and proper provision for the disabled, has brought the hall up to date as a suitable venue for its many varied purposes in the future.
The founding document carefully separates the function of management from the ownership of the freehold, but both are dependent on the assent of the parish. The Management Committee has a very broad remit to manage the affairs of the Village Hall and seeks a fresh remit at the AGM. The Village Hall was registered with the Charity Commission under the terms of the Recreational Charities Act 1958, and the officers of the Management Committee are the Charitable Trustees.
A separate body of “Trustees” takes no part in the management and running of the premises, but are the guardian or custodian of the freehold of the Village Hall. It is a self perpetuating body in accordance with various Charitable Acts 1853 to 1925, and holds title to premises
“Upon Trust… to sell confer absolutely dispose all or any part….provided always …. That no such sale shall be made so long as the said premises shall be used or occupied for the purpose of the said Parish Room and Institute.”
There was also 2 cottages that belonged to the Village Hall trust, one which is still owned by the Trust and has been used for the care taker in the past, and is soon to be rented out to help generate funds for the upkeep of the Hall. The second cottage was sold some years ago.
There are a minimum of 4 trustees of the Village Hall, who are the owners of the freehold of the site and are a separate body to the Management Committee, who look after the day-to-day running of the hall and all finances.
The Management Committee give their time voluntarily and work tirelessly to maintain the hall and organise events to generate funds for the running costs and restoration of the hall and cottage. More volunteers are always welcome… please do contact the management committee if interested in getting involved.